Friday, January 19, 2007

Chilly and Gray Days in Florida

Winter has set in pretty well here for the time being. Haven’t seen the sun for a week and our daytime temperatures have stayed in the 50’s. As I result, I haven’t gotten out much. I notice that tomorrow is due to be a balmy 63, maybe if the sun makes an appearance I will see if I remember how to load the kayak and get to some water…

In the meantime, my husband and I recently went for a hike near Piney Z lake on the outskirts of Tallahassee. My paddling buddy likes to paddle in this lake and so I decided to check out the boat ramp. For some unknown reason, the clever people at the parks department, who created a “canoe trail” in this lake and even placed a few signs designating it as such, also saw fit to gate off the road that leads to the boat ramp. This creates the necessity for a very long portage of the boat from the parking lot, around the gate, and down a slope to the boat ramp (and then up the slope upon returning). If this were the only local place to paddle, I might be inclined to go to this unnecessary bother to launch, but since it is not, I will be passing on this lake until such time as the clever parks department decides to open the road to the boat ramp (I won’t be holding my breath for that). I have encountered this sort of distance from a parking area to a boat ramp before, but never with a usable road purposely gated closed.

However, the hiking trail was very nice. The day’s weather was typical of what we have had lately; it’s probably really pretty with the sun out. There is an easy portage set up that crosses this trail and enables one to continue paddling on Lake Lafayette. There were a lot of birds. There is a lot of surface growth on both lakes. I did get a picture of a paddler sitting near that portage, on the Piney Z side. This was taken at about 2:30 in the afternoon--this is as bright as it gets in this section of the Sunshine State these days...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is not technically a Paddle Tale since I did not get in the water, but I thought I would post this to prevent this blog from getting moldy between paddling trips.

Hopefully I will get back in the boat soon! Stand by.

1 comment:

clairesgarden said...

I'm begining to feel a bit mouldy myself!! looks like you had a good hike!