Monday, January 21, 2008

Too Cold to Paddle!

Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea
are excellent schoolmasters and teach some of us
more than we can ever learn from books.
~Sir John Lubbock

Brrrr, this weather makes me want to move to Florida! Oh, wait....I'm in Florida. I'll be surprised if I get out on water this week at all. But that doesn't mean this blog has to languish; I still have several unposted photos from previous trips to show you.

I think I miss the green herons most of all this time of year. They have a distinctive call (sounds like this) and of course the wonderful expanding neck. And that topknot that they occasionally show you...



At all times of the year you can see egrets flying over the Wacissa.



When Abby and I paddled the Wacissa last week we saw several otters. In fact, it's becoming rare to spend any time at all paddling that river and not encounter at least one.



My thanks to Matt for the flattering designation of "Photo Blog of the Week" and to Denise for her kind words. My apologies to any new visitors for the sluggish updating right now; paddling trips are a tad fewer and farther between than they will be later in the year when we warm up a little.

Stand by.

3 comments:

Stacie said...

I'm still so jealous of your otter sightings. I was thinkign about this just the other day. It's funny, when I lived in CT, I kept saying how I just wanted to see beavers and though I'd see TONS of lodges and downed trees, I never once saw a beaver, then I moved here to VA, and I saw them at 3 different parks/kayak/hike trips. I guess now what I need to ask the universe for is otter sightings! LOL
Until then, I'll live vicariously through your wonderful photos!
Stacie

Ruth said...

Our open water is frozen again, so paddling is out of the question here. ;-)I have never seen the Green Heron's fancy knot before.

SophieMae said...

Between sickness and weather, it's been a miserable month, hasn't it? I thought of you this morning when I saw mergansers at the refuge. No good shots of those today. The 'intellegent auto' setting on my camera needs a bit more education. 8-}

I was also thinking of the green herons. Hoping I'll see more babies this year.