Saturday, April 26, 2008

One of those non-paddling posts

Voyage upon life's sea
To yourself be true
And whatever your lot may be
Paddle your own canoe.
~Sarah Bolton

Today I sold my Riot Stealth kayak that has been for sale since February. I was not very aggressively marketing it; this was not like selling the two other boats I have let go (or the one I traded our AC guy for repair to the central unit). One of those boats, while fine, was simply too wide to be of any use to me and I had lost interest in it; the other one I had never liked and was amazed that anyone would want. I really liked the Stealth. I think I secretly wanted to keep it around, even though it was unlikely I would ever use it again. But a woman in Orlando found one of my ads and sent payment for it sight-unseen through Paypal. She drove up today to pick it up. It took us a long time to secure it on her Santa Fe since she had opted to skip the pesky cradles and just carry it right on the built-in roof rack.

I'm writing this to mention that I was surprised at how sad I was to see it leave our driveway and go off to who knows what adventures. I'm not normally an overly sentimental person, but it was oddly dispiriting to see this boat that I had no need for disappear down the road. This is the boat that I took out last summer when Abby and I paddled up the Withlacoochee to spend sweltering afternoons completely submerged in the water (good times). I had fun with this boat. I hope the new owner enjoys it.

Of course I can't write here without including a few photos, and I always have some left over that didn't make it into their respective posts. As you can probably imagine, I have more than enough of egrets flying!


Here's one in an unusual stretched-out flight position:



We are just now starting to see juvenile birds on the river. It won't be long before the young moorhens and gallinules turn up. Here's some from late last spring.



Speaking of juveniles, given all the little blue herons that have been on the Wacissa throughout the winter, perhaps we will see some of their young'uns as well. Interestingly, they start out white. Here's one from last year.



Finally, while I was digging around in my collection of unposted photos, I came to this one taken last fall of a belted kingfisher. Normally I crop out a lot of background in photos but this one seems to be just fine with the background bigger than the bird, so I left it as it was taken.


I didn't get a chance to go out paddling a second time this past week, and I leave on Monday for camping (not paddling) in North Carolina. I'll post again after my next paddling trip. Stand by.

5 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

That's an especially nice picture of the little kingfisher. You got the eye...

Sandcastle Momma said...

Have fun and be safe on your trip!

Stacie said...

Omgoodness...do you remember that email I sent you some time ago telling you I wanted to send you a photo that was ju8st too awful to post but I wanted to see if you could Identify the bird? well, I think it was a belted kingfisher judging by your photo here. Awsome! I never did send that photo..it really was awful. LOL

I think I would feel the same way about my kayak leaving if I ever had to part with Gertie. Sometime, I'd love to see a photo of your kayak. Mine is a sport kayak...nothing fancy, heavy hard plastic, but perfect for my adventures. DH was trying to get me to upgrade to a lighter weight kayak and I just looked at him like he suggested I trade in one of the kids. Trade in Gertie??? I don't think so!
Stacie

Crayons said...

Like you, I am not a real materialist, but I can relate to your story about a certain sadness in seeing an important object pass into someone else's hands. That kayak must have some dazzling stories to tell.

I love the photo of the belted kingfisher. You were right to include much of the background. It's more magical that way.

Be safe in North Carolina. I'll look for you in a week or so.

PS: Thank you very much for your comments on my blog. You have a gentle way of expressing yourself.

Emory said...

It is almost always a sad day when you sell a boat that you like. I have been trying to get a picture of a Kingfisher. I like your pictures as always.