Monday, July 21, 2008

Snowy Day on the Wacissa

Jolly boating weather,
And a hay harvest breeze,
Blade on the feather,
Shade off the trees.

~William Johnson Cory

Snowy egrets, that is.



For a while it was looking like the juvenile little blue herons had taken over as the dominant small white bird on the river, but the snowies were out and about in numbers on this day.



I spotted this great blue heron perched in a tree. These birds can be puzzlingly difficult to photograph, something other people have also noticed; they so often come out looking a tad blurred (even if they are standing perfectly still). I had a little better luck with this guy.



Of course, having granted me a decent photo, it decided to leave.



I'm never prepared for the wingspan when they are fully extended, as was the case when that one flew by me.



And away he goes...



...but, as is often the case with great egrets, not too far away, landing on a log upriver.



I came to a family of moorhens. One of the adults swam off ahead of me, as if to draw my attention, while the other adult led the babies to the safety of the river's edge.



I went into Blue Spring, of course, where I found Janice enjoying a dip in the cool water. We talked for a while (she had seen the moorhen group as well and had noticed the same maneuver of one adult seeming to want to be a distraction while the other got the youngsters out of sight) and then left the spring via the back route (which is getting very shallow). Janice spotted a raccoon--I don't know if her photos came out; mine didn't. Nice to see it, though. I haven't seen one for a long time.

We parted company when we reached the main river--she went back upstream and I continued downstream. This juvenile gallinule was fishing near the side of the river.



Check out the size of that foot!

I came to another snowy egret in the surface vegetation at about the point that I turned around to head back upstream.



It was doing that wingspread thing they do to try to lure small fish over.



It was wonderful to return to the river!

I'll be back when I get out again; stand by.

1 comment:

drew said...

Nice egret pictures. I always have problems getting good feather detail because they are so white.