We cannot command nature except by obeying her.
I decided to take a drive out to the Wacissa, sans kayak, to see what tropical storm Fay had wrought. Actually, since the sun was popping out and there were some small patches of blue sky, Plan A had been to load the kayak and drive with my fingers crossed. However, given the distance between here and there and all the areas with flooding, I decided I had better check it out first without the kayak.
There was a spot in the town of Wacissa where the water had clearly crossed the road, and the "Road Closed" sign was still up but the orange cones had been moved. The water still came right up to the pavement, though. I wondered if the boat ramp parking lot would be underwater.
I was very surprised to find that the parking lot was almost completely dry--only a few small puddles. I went down to look at the boat ramp. By this time the weather was looking stormy again--these days we have an ongoing mix of stormy and clear skies. The water was significantly higher up the ramp than it had been for over a year, and even extended into the woods next to the channel that leads to the river.
I walked to our usual launching place. Clearly the river had flooded the bank there as a lot of the thin surface growth was scattered about on the grass. The water level was visibly higher; the island across from the ramp looked smaller than usual, and a lot of the vegetation that is normally exposed was now under water.
This great blue heron was standing in the grass near the diving board over the spring.
While we have rain forecast for every day in the foreseeable future, I am hoping, now that I know the river is accessible, to be able to get in at least an hour of paddling. I think this may have been the longest I have gone without a paddling trip.