Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Peaceful Paddling

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed
by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
~Mark Twain

Another sunny morning so I headed back to the Wacissa. This turned out to be more of a paddling trip than a photo trip. I was hoping to see a great blue heron or green heron but didn't see even one (where were they?). While the day was very hot with almost no breeze, there were no rain clouds or even overcast areas and so I went about a half mile farther downstream than I have for months. Even though the water level has gone down a bit since the rise after Fay, it's still much higher than it was this time last year. It was nice to not have to worry about scraping over rocks.

One bird that I saw that has been absent from this blog for a while was a limpkin. I really like these birds.



I came also to many juvenile little blue herons, which were featured in the last post. It's just about impossible to resist photographing them; while I don't think they are quite as appealing as snowy egrets, since their beaks and legs are more muted in color, their eyes are impressive. I caught this one taking off,



and followed it till it landed. I like these photos taken from the back since they show the layers of feathers on their wings.



A flock of ibis (is "flock" the right word?) flew across the river ahead of me as I drifted downstream.



---



Last time I was on this river I didn't see a single gator. I saw a few this time. This is such a familiar sight as you get farther downstream.



The paddle upstream was easy. I parked under the shade of a tree and spotted these pretty white flowers across the surface of the water.



This was a longer trip than usual, I was on the river for four hours or so. I look forward to paddling in cooler weather...cooler weather is coming, right?

Stand by.

8 comments:

lesle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lesle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lesle said...

Peggy, crowd is the collective noun for a group of ibis. (Also for toad.) Additionally, googling, I find: A group of ibises has many collective nouns, including a "congregation", "stand", and "wedge" of ibises.

One of my reference books says that a group of birds on the ground is a flock, in the air, a flight.

Going out on a limb here, I'm going to say that a group of birds in the water is a float, or should be, anyway.

Emory said...

Hey Peggy.

Great pictures as always. I have been waiting for you to get back out on the water. I always look forward to your posts. I really like your Dragon Fly picture. Very nicely done.

Beverly said...

Your photos are wonderful, as usual. Carmi has a photographic theme of nature this week at his blog. I put up a couple of photos that I've taken around time, but I linked to your blog. I hope he will come by and see your work.

Thanks to the commenter above for the information about a group of ibis. I wondered, too, what the correct term is.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I can never get too many ibises. Or Lumpkins, too.

SophieMae said...

Because you're so photographically inspirational, you have received a blog award here. 8-]

coolwaterworks said...

Hi Peggy... Another great post here... My favorite is the landing heron... The wings are just impressive... :)

I went to a bird sanctuary here today... There were many egrets, plovers and curlews but I just get to see them in my binoculars... Taking pictures was frustrating with a 300mm lens... Haha!

Looking forward to more magnificent pics...