Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Wacissa Wednesday

The best part of beauty is that which no picture can express.
~Francis Bacon Sr.

I took a chance on the weather and headed out early yesterday morning for a Wacissa paddle.

The birds were curiously absent from the top part of the river. The water is down a bit and I only saw a few gators this time.

At the turn into Blue Spring I came to a snowy egret that let me get rather close.

Photobucket Image Hosting

There were a few tricolored herons near the entrance,

Photobucket Image Hosting

but otherwise it was bird-free as well.

The gray clouds had drifted by and the sun came out, so I continued downstream. I came to several juvenile little blue herons, some more skittish than others. This one stood watching me for a while,

Photobucket Image Hosting

and then flew off.

Photobucket Image Hosting

---

Photobucket Image Hosting

---

Photobucket Image Hosting

It flew a short distance ahead of me and stopped again. I continued drifting and eventually reached it, at which point it flew off again (really! I didn't do anything! I was just sitting there in my little boat!).

Photobucket Image Hosting

Although the day was as hot as any day has been this summer, I went a little farther than usual this time. There was a nice upstream wind blowing and I counted on that to offset the heat for the trip back to the ramp. This tricolored heron flew across the river in front of me.

Photobucket Image Hosting

I turned around shortly after that. While I was passing a group of reeds I saw this family of moorhens paddling around. The little ones are so fuzzy.

Photobucket Image Hosting

I came to this egret striking an odd pose:

Photobucket Image Hosting

I couldn't figure out why it was standing like that or what it was looking at...until this snowy flew in (maybe the egret saw it coming before I did...).

Photobucket Image Hosting

They stood together for a while as I took pictures of them. It wasn't until I got home and looked at the images on the computer screen that I noticed there was a third bird in the photo--a little moorhen in front!

Photobucket Image Hosting

I went through all the photos I had gotten of the two egrets and the moorhen is not anywhere in any of them...not sure where it came from.

Speaking of moorhens, this one ran across the water (literally) in front of me.

Photobucket Image Hosting

There were many turtles sunning on logs and branches, most of which slid or jumped into the water as I passed by. I guess this one decided it was too much effort to get back up so it would take its chances with me.

Photobucket Image Hosting

I made my way slowly back to the ramp. I had only seen two canoes in the water and no other boats. The last bird I saw was another tricolored heron, who left as I approached.

Photobucket Image Hosting

A good paddling day; I was out a little over three hours. The heat can be a little draining; I look forward to cooler temperatures. I'm curious about how the Wakulla fared through the recent storms and the rainfall since and hope to get there soon. Stand by.

5 comments:

S N B said...

Just when we are sure your bird photos can't get any better.....they do!
Our photos will NEVER look like yours, but I love the large format of the photos. Will you share how you get your photos to be large on this blog?

Peggy said...

Hi SNB--

Wasn't sure whether to leave this response here or on your blog itself (which is really neat). I'm going to do it here and hope you will come back and see it.

There are two requirements for posting big pictures: first, you have to switch your template/layout to the simplest one you can find, with the widest space; then, once you have gotten that set up, you need to store your photos somewhere besides Blogger, so you can post them in the size you choose right up front (resize them before you store them). I use Photobucket but there are lots of such sites. The photos won't be clickable for a larger size, but that's fine; post them the size you want them viewed.

That's it in brief, if you or anyone else has any more questions, email me directly and I will help if I can.

Peggy

Crayons said...

Hi Peggy,
My heart leaped here in the cafe on this rainy Wisconsin Sunday morning when I saw these photos of egrets. They are absolutely my favorite bird of all.

I didn't know about the tri-color egret. Now that's something for me to learn about.

The close-up at the very beginning of your post is awesome.

S N B said...

I did get your message above and after consideration, have decided I am not ready to commit the time at present that it appears it would involve for me.

You will be interested in my last blog entry.
8^)

Jamie Dawn said...

I'm visiting here via Beverly's blog.
Your photos are amazingly beautiful!!!!