Sunday, October 12, 2008

It's that North Carolina Time of Year

Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting,
so... get on your way.

~Dr. Seuss

I had so hoped to get back out this past week, but assorted things kept me off the water. And now it is time to head back up to North Carolina for my fall trip to the mountains, sans kayak. I can't let this blog languish untended until my next paddling trip, and so I am dipping once again into some photos that didn't make it into their respective posts but that I liked too much to delete. I hope you like them, too.

While I was drifting downstream on a recent trip, an egret flew by me and landed in the grass just ahead. It lingered for a while but as I got closer, decided to go someplace less crowded.



---



---



A few months ago I took some photos of a tricolored heron in somewhat unconventional lighting--I was facing right into the sun. I ended up liking the effect, though I won't be making it a habit. Here's another of that set.



And finally, back to white birds, I saw this juvenile little blue heron perched in a cypress tree this summer. They stand out like bright white lanterns when they do this.



And so off I go on another adventure. I think I will take my paddle and other accessories just in case the opportunity to rent a kayak comes up. That's not in my plans for this trip, but you never know.

Stand by.

10 comments:

Robert V. Sobczak said...

Amazing photos! And you hold yourself to a very high standard -- definitely don't feel bad about having to go back into the archives for material. You're in good company: Bob Dylan just released another installment of his "Bootleg Series" called Tell-Tale Heart, and he did the same. That's a sign of a dedicated artist.

Mary said...

Sooo lovely! It looks like a ballet!

fishing guy said...

Peggy: Amazing photography, you have some great photos of birds and an interesting site. Visiting from Mary's site with her link.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

WOW!This is my first but certainly not my last visit to your site.The photos are stunning.My husband and I do some photography so I would be interested in knowing what kind of camera and lenses you are using.Thanks for any info.
Ruth

Peggy said...

Hi Ruth! Right now I am using a Nikon D300 with a Nikkor 70-300mm lens.

I hope you will come back again!

Peggy

Dave said...

Packing your paddle, I love it. I'll guess you have rented a yak with a paddle that seemed to weigh as much as the kayak on prior NC visits.

Sandy said...

Your photos are gorgeous!!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Thanks for leaving us with a fine taste in our mouthsl

Big Bend Blog said...

Is the new puppy going to have his own blog like muffin?

Peggy said...

Thank you all for your kind comments!

No, the new puppy will not have her own blog, though she may appear now and then on the Photo Miscellanea blog. She's a miniature dachshund that we named Roxie. She and Wilson have become BFF, as they say. Oddly, she loves playing in the cubes.