Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Still not paddling!

Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth,
for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire:
it is the time for home.
~Edith Sitwell

I came so close to getting out paddling today! Within 15 minutes of leaving DH to finish putting in the new kitchen counter tops and sink and faucets. And then.... the new counter top back lip is lower than the last one, requiring more tiles for the splash guard behind the sink, the purchase of which must be done by me so that we don't end up with Finding Nemo tiles or whatever else was the first thing DH came to (explaining upon arriving home that "a tile is tile, isn't it?"). So that's an hour trip to the nearest Lowe's, shopping, hour trip home, apply tiles...and there goes my paddling trip on this first sunny, non-windy, acceptably chilly (50 degrees) day we have had for weeks.

Ah well.

Meanwhile, it's not that I have been completely idle. While it may be too cold, rainy, or windy to paddle, it has been just fine for camping, and I have been getting out often. My last trip included photos of the type usually posted here, and I even considered double-posting them. But no need, I'm going padding today! Or not.

If you have the time, head over to the recent post in Camping Tales to see the latest birds. Maybe I can get out paddling tomorrow...

Stand by.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Hi Peggy:

Glad you "checked in!" You and I both use a similar "barometer" for acceptable paddling weather - temperatures in the 50's, sunny, and low wind. However, I've been "bending" that rule... and have done some recent paddling with temperatures in the low 40's. I'm so ready for summer! Hope you get back out on the water soon! :-)

Kimberlee said...

I'm so glad to "hear" from you again! Hope the kitchen re-do is finished soon and you have some time for fun again. :) Happy New Year to you!

pineyflatwoodsgirl said...

This campground, just across from St. Vincent's Island is a bit of a drive but very attractive for wildlife and kayaking.

www.indianpasscamp.com

Sandra said...

I have waited and waited for a post from you and here it is. I have your blogs on reader but not camping tales. i don't know how i missed this one yesterday. i think i may be following to many blogs and it got lost. yesterday was our first no wind, no sun day and 60 degrees, my husband got to fly his planes and he was happy so that made me happy. the weather stops him from his hobby like it does you.